Pages

16 February 2011

Golden Glow Stuffed Squash

I love all the squashes and root vegetables available in the winter time. I love their earthiness, stoutness, and deliciousness. I love them roasted, stuffed, pureed, and mashed. So I was happy when I saw this recipe in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker because how could I not like stuffed squash?





Ingredients
winter squash, cut in half, seeds removed (I used an acorn squash)
cooked rice
onions
garlic
carrot
thyme
rosemary
sriracha sauce


Method:
Cook the filling vegetables over a medium heat (onions, garlic, carrot) until softened. Add the spices and rice and stir until everything is coated. Fill the squash cavity.

In a slow cooker, add some water in the bottom, then place the squash inside. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

--------
I think this was overcooked. It was bland and boring. The filling in the morning was really tasty and flavorful. Somewhere over the course of the day, all the seasoning melted away. In order to eat the squash, I covered it sriracha sauce. I seem to do that with everything. Really, I do use other flavors.

My husband took a few bites and then threw out his half.

3 comments:

  1. Hello? Do we get a new post soon?

    Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcbv1czvO71qa8vdgo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1301952444&Signature=HZupjGl5ThswNRC7n%2FotBn%2Fmpcg%3D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most amazing picture I have seen. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete