Pages

15 May 2011

Tempeh Sausage Gravy over potatoes

Since I received a copy of Vegan with a Vengeance, my most made recipe has to be the tempeh sausage crumbles. I love to mix them in gravies or when I want some "meat" texture.



Ingredients
Tempeh Sausage Crumbles
1/2 8 oz package tempeh
soy sauce (not too much, I learned the hard way. Or eliminate it because some is going in the gravy)
olive oil
maple syrup
fennel seed
sage
oregano
marjoram
basil
water to cover

Gravy (Adapted from Vegan Vittles)
1 T cornstarch
1 T soy sauce
3/4 cup water
garlic granules
black pepper
1 T tahini


Method
Tempeh Sausage Crumbles
Crumble up the tempeh in a small saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the water. Add only enough water to cover the tempeh. Cook on medium heat and allow to simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed/evaporated, about 10 - 15 minutes. Move the tempeh to a bowl while gravy is made.

Gravy
I used the same saucepan as the tempeh so it had some of the spices left over. Add the cornstarch and soy sauce to the pan and whisk to combine. Add the water and any spices, whiskey constantly. Place over medium heat and whisk pretty much continuously until it starts to bubble a little and has thickened. Take off the heat and whisk in the tahini.

Add the tempeh to the gravy. Serve over hash brown potatoes with some avocado and whole wheat bread.

Notes
I put waaaayyy too much soy sauce in this. I added too much to the tempeh when it was simmer and the salty flavor became concentrated. I then added more to the gravy, ugh. Other than that, the flavor was very good and this is one of my favorite ways to enjoy tempeh.

My husband also concurred with the too much salt verdict. He had to separate out the tempeh from the rest of the gravy because it was too much for him. He liked it otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment