Pages

20 January 2011

Granola

I adapted this recipe from Robin Robertson's cookbook Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Most of the recipes in the book are for much bigger slow cookers than my 1.5qt, but I adjust the proportions and things usually turn out nicely.



Before cooking


This is more of a guideline than hard and fast recipe. Feel free to experiment with flavor combinations, ingredients, sweeteners, etc.

Total time: 3.5 hours

For the 1.5 qt I used

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
some random dried cranberries I had in the pantry

1/4 cup maple syrup
2 T vegetable oil

Combine everything in a lightly oiled slow cooker. Cook on high, uncovered for 1.5 hours. Stir every 20 - 30 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered for 2 hours. Again, stir every 20 - 30 minutes. Cook until the oats are nice and toasty. This will not clump up like some granola. It is also very very dry. I want to try different fruits, nuts, and sweeteners. I saw a blog the other day that made PB&J granola - that might be my next project.



After toasting


Spread the granola on a baking sheet to cool completely. I lined mine with foil for easy clean up. Store in an airtight container, if you have any left.



Who can resist a macro shot, not I.


While this was cooking, both my husband or I would stir and eat a bit. At first, the taste was a bit off, but as it was toasting, the flavored mellowed and became really delicious. I am serving this tomorrow for breakfast (if we will stop eating it) with yogurt that is in my other slow cooker.



The yogurt, yogurtizing. I'll report back if it worked or if I'll chalk it up as a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment