Pages

20 January 2011

Hot and Sour Soup for the Slow Cooker

I adapted this recipe from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. This cookbook has been fantastic for my recent slow cooker addiction. The recipes are great, not too much prep, and make my apartment smell wonderful.

Total time: 6 - 8 hours (I put this on about 10:30 and came home a bit after 19:00 and nothing was ruined)



Soup and fried wontons


When I adapt crock pot recipes to my 1.5 qt pot, I usually keep putting ingredients in the pot until it is about 2/3 - 3/4 full and then add water or broth to cover. Your vegetables might vary. Adjust accordingly.

3 fresh oyster mushrooms, cut roughly
about 10 bamboo shoots from a can of bamboo shoots. (I am going to need to find uses for the rest of that can)
garlic, minced (I used about 4 cloves, but I love love love garlic)
fresh ginger, minced (Again, I love ginger. I think I used about a 2 inch piece of ginger)
1 T rice vinegar
1 T soy sauce (I used Bragg's)
1 t chile paste (I should have used a bit more. I like my food extra hot)
veggie broth to cover
----------------------
1 T cornstarch
1 green onion, diced
1/3 block of tofu, diced
frozen corn, edamame, peas, etc

Put all the ingredients through the broth into the slow cooker. Cover, cook on low, until you get home. The soup was not thick at all like hot and sour soups should be, so when I got home I whisked 1 T cornstarch with a small amount of cold water until dissolved. I mixed that into the soup and set it to high for about 30 minutes. I then added the diced tofu and had I remembered I would have added frozen corn and edamame directly after adding the cornstarch slurry. Garnish with the green onion and serve hot.

Both my husband and I agree that this was super duper tasty. The ginger developed a really deep flavor by cooking all day. This is definitely a keeper.

While waiting for the soup to thicken a bit, I made fried wontons. I had picked up some Tofutti cream cheese at the grocery store and mixing that with a bit of sriracha sauce, we had awesome wontons.



No comments:

Post a Comment