Pages

27 January 2011

Mushroom Barley Soup

Another one from the slow cooker.

I was excited when I put this soup together this morning, but by the time I got home, I was less than thrilled to be eating it. I didn't take a picture of it, because it was not very photogenic. I am in awe of people that can take pictures of risotto or other grains and make them look appetizing.

This soup was good, not fantastic and I probably wouldn't make it again. It fulfilled my nutritional needs for the evening.

Mushroom Barley Soup
Adapted from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

onions, chopped
carrots, chopped
celery, chopped
mushrooms, chopped
barley, rinsed (I added about 1/2 cup for my 1.5 qt slow cooker)
veggie broth
thyme
rosemary
hot pepper
hot sauce

Put everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

When I got home, the barley had expanded more than I had expected and had soaked up most of the liquid. The texture of the barley was, as my husband put it, slimy. I wasn't expecting it to be, not exactly gooey, so creamy. Once we added more hot sauce, the soup became much more palatable, but everything tastes better with hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment