Pages

14 May 2011

Aloo Palak

One of my favorite thing to order at Indian restaurants used to be Palak Paneer. Since I have given up dairy, I have found that Aloo Palak is an adequate replacement. It is my favorite variety of Tasty Bite. Speaking of Tasty Bites, they have some delicious easy food. The ingredients are always good and many of their meals are dairy free. You can see my previous blog post about the Tasty Bite Aloo Palak here.



This is adapted for my 1.5 qt slow cooker. It is another recipe from the Indian Slow Cooker.

Ingredients
5 oz fresh spinach, washed, but not dried
onion
1 tomato
ginger
7 garlic cloves (The original recipe called for 20 in a 5 qt slow cooker)
3 hot chilies
1 T ground cumin
1 T chili powder
1 t garam masala
1/2 t turmeric
salt
1/2 yukon gold potato


Method
Put everything except the salt and potato in a slow cooker. You might need to shove and push. Really you don't need any water. The spinach cooks by steaming in the liquid adhering to the leaves. Cook on high for 3 hours.





Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until all the chunks have disappeared. Add the potato and salt. Cook on low for 2 hours, or until the potato is cooked.

Serve with rice.

Notes
Again, the fantastic immersion blender to the rescue. I was really surprised that everything was able to cook without any added water. I didn't have any problems at all with spinach sticking to the side or things not getting cooked through.

I really enjoyed this recipe a bit. I still had to up the spices before serving to make sure it would be enjoyable.

My husband thought this was good, but he missed the paneer.

EDIT: I had the leftovers for breakfast a few days ago, and the flavor was fantastic. I will be making this again for sure. It was really good!

1 comment:

  1. I have been making aloo palak in slow cooker for some time now. Yours looks pretty healthy too due to lots of spinach.

    ReplyDelete