Pages

24 August 2011

Vegan mac and cheese

I was coming home from a Burlesque show in Saturday night and decided that I really wanted to have some mac and cheese. I quickly came up with, has to be, the best vegan mac and cheese ever. I need to work a bit more on the recipe, but the taste of it is fantastic.



Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut original creamer
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 t tomato paste
2 t soy sauce
2 t white miso paste
chipotle powder
dried basil
black pepper
green onions, for garnish
3/4 cup macaroni or other pasta

Method
This feeds approximately 1.

In a medium sauce pan, bring water to boil and cook the pasta until your desired firmness. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan over low heat, add the creamer, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, soy sauce, and miso paste. Using a whisk, stir constantly to full blend together. Add any herbs and seasonings you desire, to taste. *Bring to a low simmer, and allow to reduce in volume until it is the desired thickness. Mix together with the pasta and top with chopped green onions and freshly ground black pepper.

*This is what I should have done.


Notes
This is freakin' fantastic. The taste of it is amazing. My husband also agrees. I failed to thicken up the sauce before adding it to my pasta because I was hungry. I am going to be making this again this week to tweak the recipe and make it more awesome. My husband said he wasn't hungry and then he kept chowing down on my pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment