Pages

20 April 2011

Pad Thai Salad

A few weeks ago I went to a Women in Science Potluck at my school. There was a panel of four people talking about being a woman in the sciences and how to handle life/school/career/family at one time. Afterwards, there was much sharing of food. There was a surprising amount of food that I could eat there, minus the bacon quiche someone brought. Most everything was vegan friendly!



I found this recipe a while ago on Veggie Bon Vivant and I thought it would be perfect for the potluck. It is from Appetite for Reduction. I am reproducing the recipe below.

Ingredients
8 C chopped romaine lettuce
4 C bean sprouts
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and grated
3/4 C chopped smoked tofu
1 recipe Peanut-Lime Dragon Dressing
1/4 C roasted peanuts
1/2 C lightly packed fresh cilantro


Method
In a large mixing bowl, toss together the lettuce, sprouts, red onion, carrot, and tofu. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Distribute the salad among four bowls. There will most likely be dressing left over as it is fairly thin. Distribute the dressing among the bowls. Garnish with roasted peanuts, cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.

Peanut-Lime Dragon Dressing

* 1/2 C roasted peanuts
* 2 T chopped shallot
* 1/4 C squeezed lime juice
* 1/2 C water
* 2 T agave nectar
* 2 T soy sauce
* 1 tsp Sriracha (I added about a tablespoon)

Pulse 2 T of the peanuts and all of the shallot in the food processor, just to chop everything up. Add the lime juice, water, agave, soy sauce, and Sriracha, and blend until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides a few times. Now add the remaining 2 T of peanuts and pulse for a bit. These shouldn’t be blended smooth, just chopped up small. The dressing will be thin. Adjust the seasonings to your liking. Keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container until ready to use, up to 5 days.


This salad went over really well at the potluck and was almost completely gone when I left. I will be scaling back the recipe and making it again for just my husband and myself. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment