Pages

19 April 2011

White Bean Sauce with Sage on Linguine

I have been really trying to stick to a menu plan this week because it saves on grocery money and the inevitable question "what are we going to eat?". This recipe has been on the menu list for the past couple of weeks and I finally made it last night. I don't know why I waited so long, it was was delicious and super fast.



I adapted this from Vegan Planet which is an amazing cookbook.

Ingredients
1/2 of an onion chopped
3 - 4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh sage
1 cup cooked white beans (I had used my crockpot to cook a batch of beans earlier this week)
1/2 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 cup vegetable broth
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
linguine or other pasta
fresh sage for garnish

Method
Start cooking the pasta according to package directions. Drain and place back in the pan you used to cook it in and add about a tablespoon of oil so the pasta does not stick together.

Sauté onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil over medium heat until browned and delicious. Add the fresh sage, beans, and vinegar and stir to mix the flavors. Transfer this mixture to a food processor and blend with enough broth, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to bring to your desired thickness. I used about 1/4 cup and the sauce was fairly thick. Add the sauce to the pasta and mix until everything is coated and warmed through.

Serve with delicious bread and a Pinot Noir rosé.

This came together in about 20 minutes and is really open to inspiration. Don't like sage? Try another fresh herb. Want to try another bean? Go for it! Although, I think the white navy beans I used worked really well.

My husband gave this the two thumbs up.


There I am reading the cookbook in our small kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment