Pages

04 January 2020

Vegan French Toast and making tempeh


I used the French Toast recipe from Power Plates by Gena Hamshaw of the Full Helping blog. The toast has a similar texture to egg based French toast by using non-dairy milk, chickpea flour, cornstarch, and nutritional yeast.

My sister bought me the cookbook for my birthday last year and I really really like the recipes in it. Hamshaw is a dietitian and creates well rounded recipes using whole food ingredients. Some of them are a bit involved, but all the recipes that I've tried have been tasty.

For Christmas, my husband bought me a book on fermenting miso, tempeh, natto, and other ferments. We also picked up a bread proofing box for keeping the ferments at the correct temperature (and proofing bread!). We started off with the tempeh recipe. I tried making tempeh in the Instant Pot a few months ago, but it never formed into the cake and I didn't try again. Using 2 cups of soybeans (and laboriously taking off the hulls), we were able to make two tempeh cakes and it is the best tempeh that I have ever had. It is nutty deliciousness and makes me want to actively eat tempeh, rather than "yeah, sure I'll have some tempeh bacon".


We've just been sauteing up slices of the first tempeh cake to taste it without much adornment. For the second one, I'll probably try the tempeh in a Gado Gado salad. When we lived in Philly we loved going to Hardena for Indonesian food and, as expected, they did fantastic things with tempeh that I now want to copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment